Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Fruits of My Labor

So here's the real reason I started my blog this year instead of waiting to start at the beginning next year. For dinner last night we had roasted garden veggies, and I was so happy with how I was able to use my garden goodies I was able to use that I just had to record my thoughts!

So here's the dish, after we had eaten most of it (And then I spread it around on the pan) I used zucchini and white scallop squash from my garden, plus cauliflower, beets, carrots, and scallions from the local farm. I had some yellow zucchini from my garden I could have put in there as well, but I felt like I was going to end up with too much food already (which I did, tho not as much as I thought). I flavored it with sage also from my garden and salt and tossed everything in olive oil. I roasted the veggies (carrots and beets first then added the rest) on my stoneware bar pan (it's itty bitty, and I crammed way too much on there, but miraculously it all still cooked).

My thoughts on this dish after eating it: I don't like beets. I never have been a huge fan of them at thanksgiving, but I was hoping they'd be better fresh but I just am still not a fan of their taste. The dish also could have used more flavor, I think some garlic would have been great (could have pulled that out my garden) and/or some rosemary and thyme (I have a little bit of thyme but that poor plant is struggling this year so I haven't been harvesting anything off of it). I did love how the squash tasted, not soggy like it tends to get if boiled or if sauteed too long, and the scallions and olive oil really gave the veggies a nice base flavor. I think I could have put more scallions in there, too. Definately a kind of dish I will be making again! It was so fun to use my yummy garden squash and add the farm veggies in there. And my two toddlers even ate most of it too!

This is what gardening is all about - getting to enjoy the fruits (quite literally) of all that hard work at the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment